Candidate Profile City Council 2021-Patricia Wise
1 months ago
Campaign Profile, Patricia (Patty) Wise
I moved to La Verkin 5 years ago. I started attending city council and planning commission meetings and was hooked. I ran for city council to contribute to something good. My husband and I are retired, we enjoy mountain biking, hiking, kayaking and gardening.
As a current councilwoman, I am either leading or supporting the following initiatives:
• Trails- Led a citizen committee to establish La Verkin’s official Master Trails Plan. This creates a blueprint connecting La Verkin's current and future trails, helping the city maintain its beautiful outdoor natural spaces and plan for future development.
• Washington County Trails Committee member, La Verkin was awarded the first recipient of a trail head improvement program with the county and private businesses. There will be a new kiosk at the lower La Verkin Overlook Trail Head, 400 So, 100 W.
• Economic Development- Worked with our city administrator and mayor to host quarterly meetings for local business owners to better understand their needs and assist them. We included county and regional speakers on different topics.
• Website- Worked closely with our city administrator and citizen committee to revamp the city website to provide a more user-friendly site.
• Power Plant Park- Primary author of a Utah State grant that awarded La Verkin City $27,500 (city’s match was $27,500) for development of the city’s newest park.
• Board member of Zion Regional Collaborative (ZRC) representing La Verkin City. These items will benefit La Verkin long term.
• SR-9 from La Verkin to Zion National Park East Entrance was designated a National Scenic Byway
• Future Zion Corridor multi-use paved trail from Hurricane to Zion National Park; a part of the regional Active Transportation Plan.
Moving forward, I see the following as a few key issues for the city that I hope to be a part of:
• Water conservation and infrastructure
• Commercial development management through zoning
• Increased housing demands, managing short-term rentals
• Active Transportation- Non-motorized vehicle access for commuting and recreation.
La Verkin City Council